Gone in 46 Seconds
June 29, 2016
There were 689,527 motor vehicles reported stolen in the United States in 2014—that’s a vehicle stolen every 46 seconds. Nearly 45 percent of these vehicles are never recovered. The estimated total value of vehicles stolen nationwide is more than $4.5 billion, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Protect your vehicle
Mopar’s Electronic Vehicle Tracking System (EVTS) gives owners the peace of mind of always knowing where their vehicle is located. It is a state-of-the-art GPS-enabled stolen vehicle recovery system that helps protect your vehicle, along with additional available security features. Unlike other vehicle tracking systems, the Mopar EVTS offers nationwide tracking without a subscription.
The Mopar EVTS is offered in three packages: Base, Silver and Gold.
The Base plan includes a GPS stolen-vehicle locator, real-time stolen-vehicle tracking and a $1,000 theft protection warranty. The system is also transferable and upgradeable, with no subscription fees.
For added protection and service, vehicle owners can upgrade to the Silver or Gold package. The Silver package allows owners to set a “security fence.” If the set limits are exceeded, then the registered owner will receive a text alert from their Mopar EVTS. Other features with the Silver package include arrival and departure notification, mapping of a vehicle’s previous locations, 24-hour emergency service dispatch, automatic theft detection, online tracking, and an on-board panic button.
The Gold plan includes everything in the Silver package along with unlimited online tracking and a full concierge service, allowing vehicle owners to receive directions, make reservations and receive other needed assistance at the touch of a button using the EVTS registered owner’s cell phone.
Don’t make your vehicle a target
Nearly half of vehicle theft is due to driver error, such as leaving your keys in the vehicle. If you’re going to park your car in a public space and will be away from it for a long period of time, use common sense and follow best practices, such as:
- Parking in well-lit areas if it’s dark.
- Rolling up all windows and making sure your doors are locked.
- Never leaving valuables inside your vehicle, especially where they can be seen.
Where’s my ride?
If you happen to find yourself in the unfortunate situation where your vehicle has been stolen, follow these steps:
- Contact local police immediately to file a stolen vehicle report. You will need a police report and case number to provide to your insurance company. You may also need to provide a license plate number, the make, model and color of your vehicle, and any other identifying information such as a vehicle identification number (VIN).
- Contact your insurance company to file a claim within 24 hours of discovering your vehicle has been stolen.
- Contact your insurance company and the police immediately if you happen to find you vehicle before the authorities.
So the next time you’re upgrading your ride or personalizing your vehicle, let Mopar assist in protecting your vehicle. The 24/7 Rapid Response Center Team tracks down vehicles in minutes before possible damage can be done. GPS and cell technology provide nationwide coverage. Exact locations of stolen vehicles are pinpointed precisely across the United States, Canada and Mexico. The Mopar EVTS is currently available as a Mopar accessory at Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep® and Ram dealers. To learn more about how to better protect your vehicle from theft, visit the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s website safercar.gov.